Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Week 4 and half way there!

I am very excited to be at the halfway point in my recovery stage! This past week I have been out and about keeping very busy. It feels great to not be glued to the couch anymore. Last Friday we went and saw Harry Potter 7 Part 1. While it was a great movie the lack of caffeine was evident when I was yawning at the 8:45pm start time. Sad to say, my bed time has been 9:00-9:30pm for the past month. Either way I had a great time meeting up with Kellie, Karl, & Kirsten for HP7.1. On Saturday we walked around Ikea, Target, & Costco. Although the highlight was when Mike and I stopped at Jamba Juice for smoothies for lunch. My cap was leaking down my cup and instinctively I went to lick the side of the cup. Whoops! I don't have access to my tongue! LOL. Mike certainly got a kick out of that!

I have also had 1 success and 1 failure in the soup department. I was very excited to make a delicious vegetable stock. I used vegetables that I have never eaten or diced before. I ended up using YouTube video clips to learn how to cut leeks, ginger root, and parsnips. I am really enjoying cooking and preparing my meals. It definitely beats the monotony of eating Ensure for every single meal. With my vegetable stock I was able to prepare 2 soups. The first soup was a Potato and Roasted Garlic. Unfortunately, I left the potatoes in the stock too long and it turned into mashed potatoes. However, I still ended up eating the soup which turned out more like potato water. YUCK! The second soup I made was a Cream of Onion. It turned out beautifully! It was made with butter, onions, dry vermouth, stock, bay leaf, and cream. The soup was deliciously buttery with a nice onion flavor!

Yesterday I had my doctors appointment for the week. As before, everything is looking great! I am down just about 23lbs and the doctor is predicting that I should be at 190lbs when I see him again in 2 weeks. Maybe being wired shut during the holidays is a good thing!

Speaking of holidays, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone! This year Mike and I are hosting Jack, Laurel, Grandma, & Papa for the holiday. We are cooking a turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, sweet potatoe casserole, corn, and White Bean Soup (for me). While I am going to miss diving into all this delicious food, I am just keeping focus on my recovery and I will enjoy having the family over to our place for our first Thanksgiving. I am thankful for a successful surgery, great family, and good health. I am also thankful for all of your support through this process, and with the passing of my Mom. Happy Thanksgiving to all of you!!!

1 comment:

  1. Love seeing the progress you are making Joe!! I know it must be hard at times but you sure are staying positive and focused!! WAY TO GO!! And how fun to get to experiment with soups especially with the fall/winter weather!! You are AWESOME!!!

    ReplyDelete