Monday, October 25, 2010

Welcome!

Hello Everyone!

I just want to thank you for stopping by and inquiring about what is going to be going on in my life over the next couple months. I am hoping that this blog can help be my voice while I don't have much of one.

For those of you that don't know, I am going to be having Orthognathic Surgery on my lower jaw. What that means is that I will be having my jaw broken and reset into its proper position. The big day is Monday November 1st.

Over the past 10 years my lower jaw slowly began to recess backwards. As you can see in the below picture, my chin should touch that blue line and be in line with my nose. This shift in my jaw slowly began to change my bite, change my breathing (see red circle which shows my narrow air passage way), and change my facial appearance. This surgery will help to correct these matters and prevent anything else from happening down the road.





Recovery is the biggest challenge ahead of me. My goal in keeping this blog is to update all of you throughout the process as I will not be able to speak to any of you during the 6 week recovery. I will be having my jaw wired shut so that the jaw bones can heal and strengthen. During this time I will be subjected to a liquid diet for every meal! Not something easy for someone like me to do, however, the motivation for this change will help drive the change in my diet!

Thanks for your interest in keeping up with what is going on with me! I will try and keep this blog up to date and post pictures where applicable and not completely gross anyone out.

3 comments:

  1. Good luck to you, sir. Although I dont see why you couldnt take up karaoke as a hobby...you could hum along, perhaps? 8)

    -Richard

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very courageous Joe - lot's of luck! WE all can't wait to see and hear "the new you" when this is all done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Joe, we can't believe the difference the surgery has made already. You're so brave and we are so happy for you. Congratulations and rest up.

    Love you,
    TJ and Melanie Wasmund

    ReplyDelete